Monday, April 12, 2010

An Argument Against Cell Phones

I believe that cell phones are the worst invention ever. I know people may argue they are great for emergencies, but that benefit does not outweigh the downfalls of cell phones.

Before cell phones were created, your parents did not feel as if they had electronic leashes for you. You could stay out later and explain it away to your parents: "oh we had a flat tire that's why we were late." Now if you tried to do that, your parents' response of course is, "why didn't you cal me to tell me that?" Also, your spouses always know where you are. You can't sneak away to the spa for your own personal downtime. Your spouse would ask, "why weren't you anwering your cell phone?" In addition to these reasons, which I will call the electronic leash reasons, there are others.

How many breakfasts, lunches, and dinners out have you had ruined by others cell phone conversations. I have had many. Not just other people in the restaurant, but people in my own party have ruined our good time by constantly texting, beeping, ringing, and squawking into their cell phone as loud as possible. It is downright rude. Or at least it used to be. Now, it's normal.

The last reason cell phones are the worst invention ever is a fatal one. People believe that they drive just fine while texting and calling. It has been proven that people texting are more dangerous than the neighborhood drunk behind the wheel. In studies, it has been shown than less than one percent of the population can actually multi-task. How can you dial Jennifer, while putting on your turn signal while yelling at your kids in the back to stop? You can't! You wreck and you die or you kill others and die. It's a terrible thing.

This is why I put forth the idea of abolishing cell phones. Or at least getting rid of all the annoying people that misuse them.

1 comment:

  1. Wow u really thought this abolishing cellphones things out. I don't know if I could agree my cell is now like a major part of my life. I can barely go a full day without using it at all I can support the idea about people that are unable to multi task because I can easily admit that I am not one of the people that can actually do it. So when I am driving I get someone to check my phone for me due to that reason. I feel it would be easier to force the people that misuse the cellphone to make that correction and use it properly.

    ReplyDelete