Monday, January 25, 2010

Lots of Government-Bad, Limited Government- Good

Government in and of itself is not necessarily a bad thing, but too much government is! Government is necessary for facilitating reparation of roads and maintenance of infrastructure. It is helpful in ironing out details of laws and the enforcement of laws. Government cannot be helpful at all when it is too large, though. Once government becomes an entity unto itself it can no longer carry out its true purpose- adhering to the wants and needs of the majority of its private citizens. Once government is so large it has become its own independent machine it can only hinder its private citizens. It passes laws in interests of big business instead of interests of its constituents. I am of course talking about democratic government for the purpose of this blog. A great example of government overextending its reach is the way the federal government of the United States manipulates individual states into bending to the White House's will. Laws about drinking ages should be reserved to individual states to make. Through manipulation of funds, the federal government goes completely above the Constitution. It is so large and powerful it no longer has to be accountable to the actual people of the United States. That is of course where we are today and it is terrible. Our government is not accountable to us. The government does what it wants because it is too large to control. Limited government is the only good government. Small government that must be accountable to its population.

3 comments:

  1. This is a very true and accurate post.I agree that the federal government should not be as big as it is.I believe that a huge federal government just holds down the states.It should be up to the individual states to make their own laws,afterall they know more about their states and whats better for the citizens than politicians in Washington DC.Big government costs alot of taxpayers money to employ workers too.Because of the bad economy nowadays,we can not afford to employ these people and we should be cutting back and laying some of these people off.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Why not just fracture each state into its own country? Or even each metro area or county? I know that the people of Philadelphia would then have a radically different form and size of government compared to York county. I believe you would be hard pressed to find someone that disagrees that government is mismanaged, but the idea that its to large I find laughable. The size of the actual government is not the issue, I would say the size of the military branch of the government is. The amount we spend keeping a military presence up around the world is astronomical. Are multiple bases in Germany and Japan really necessary? If the billions pissed away by the "defense" budget were still available taxes could, in theory, be lowered and social welfare programs expanded.

    There is no denying that a shakeup in Washington is needed. I'm a very liberal social democrat, and even I didn't buy Obama's false message of hope and change. The vast majority of Americans have been raised with an overinflated ego and sense of entitlement. This causes much more complaining then acting.

    I wish people had enough passion to riot, to scream... to hit the streets and rally the people.

    ReplyDelete
  3. http://www.huffingtonpost.com/arianna-huffington/glenn-beck-update-the-bac_b_446275.html

    I saw this article today detailing the never ending stupidity of Glenn Beck. Thought I would share it, since I believe you said you were a fan.

    ReplyDelete